|James didn't hesitate to bite into these cute macarons! haha|
Tips for making Hello Kitty macarons:
1. I used this macaron recipe and didn't add any food coloring to the batter.
2. Pipe thirty 1½ inch rounds about 1 inch apart onto one of the prepared sheet pans. These will be the shells for the bottom of the Hello Kitty macarons. Remember to lightly tap the sheet pan onto the table to even out the batter and to get rid of any air bubbles; set aside.
3. Then pipe five 1½ inch rounds about 1 inch apart onto the 2nd sheet pan. Immediately use a toothpick to "pull out the ears" by pushing out the batter of the piped rounds to form the desired shape. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just work quickly since the crust will start to form. (This is also the reason why I only pipe five rounds at a time.) Tap the sheet lightly onto the table. Repeat this step until you have 30 Hello Kitty-shaped shells.
4. Leave them out for 30 minutes to develop the crust and continue with the recipe as normal.
5. Once the shells are cooled, use food markers to draw Hello Kitty's face onto the shaped shells. I used this brand. They're pretty good but the tip is thick so it's not good for drawing anything that is really detailed.
6. I used raspberry preserves to fill these macarons but you can use any fillings that you like. Just spoon or pipe the filling onto the round shells and top each of them with a Hello Kitty shell.
7. Remember that macarons taste best after they had the time to rest and develop their flavors; store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 24 hours. Let them come to room temperature before eating them the next day.
8. Good luck! :)