Monday, August 13, 2012

Taza Chocolate

Plenty of chocolate to sample in their shop :) These are their Chocolate Mexicano Discs. Some of my favorite flavors are salted almond, cinnamon, and salt and pepper.

James and I had so much fun taking our family around Boston after our wedding. Diana and Brian came all the way from Vancouver and are big-time foodies so I thought it would be fun to go to the Taza Chocolate Factory Tour. Taza Chocolate is one of the few places in the country that makes their chocolate from bean to bar. I've seen their Chocolate Mexicano Discs in Whole Foods and local coffee shops and was very excited when I found out that they're made right in Somerville, MA.

Small version of the hand-carved granite millstones used to grind the cacao.
The tour is approximately 45 minutes and is only $5 per person. We get to see the various stages of chocolate making and taste many samples along the way.

The warm and welcoming shop

At first, I wasn't use to the gritty texture of their chocolate because it's stone-ground but I really love it now.  I also think it's wonderful that their chocolate only contains 3 to 4 ingredients! It's usually just organic roasted cacao beans, organic cane sugar, and a flavoring like organic cinnamon, organic salted almonds, etc. There is absolutely no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. I can really taste the difference. The chocolate has a bold flavor and I can taste every single ingredient that is in there.

 (left) Tasting roasted cacao nibs; (right) Hairnets are required for the tour hehe


James found a new job
Huge bags of cacao beans

Their packaging room. Everything is wrapped and packed by hand!

 (left) Grinding machines; (right) Catching the deposited chocolate into the disc molds

I think James is serious about working here lol

Taza's founder, Alex Whitmore, hand-carved these granite millstones himself after learning the craft from an authentic Oaxacan ‘molinero’

A real cacao pod

I love their store sign


I really enjoyed the tour. It was very informative. I appreciate the chocolate that Taza makes so much more because I get to see all the love that goes into making the product. I highly recommend a visit there if you love chocolate and is interested in seeing how it's made. You can also visit their website to learn more about the company :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like a must do. I'll have to put it on my Boston list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a simple and fun tour. You get to taste any of their chocolate in the shop too :)

      Delete